Saturday, April 7, 2018

Random Post 2


During my 10th grade in High School I had the opportunity go to Germany as an exchange student and lived there for a year. Coming from a big city in Colombia to a very small town in a different country was very cultural shocking at the beginning. However, I was very lucky to have a loving host family that was very supportive of me. The family consisted in the mom, the dad, two girls, and a boy. With the past of the time, we all became very close.  I had such an incredible experience with them that I now see them as my second family.

This past summer they decided to come to the U.S. for vacation to visit me. We did a 3-week road trip and went to various national parks in California, Arizona, Utah, and Nevada. It was amazing to see each other again after so many years and find out that our relationship was the same. Overall, we had a great time together and it was very hard to say goodbye when it was to time for them to go back to Germany. Luckily, I recently find out that one of my host sisters is coming to live in New York for a year and we are already making plans to meet.

Here are pictures of us in Joshua Tree and Grand Canyon.




9 comments:

  1. I am glad you enjoyed Germany! I went when I was 10 for a family wedding. I really want to go back because I was a bit young to fully enjoy Germany. I have never done a program like you have but wish I did! I have a few friends who have done similar things and all have loved it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Angela,

    It's so cool that you've been to so many different parts of the world! That road trip also looks amazing. Joshua Tree is said to be absolutely beautiful. I've always wanted to go to the Grand Canyon, and I'm still desperately trying to squeeze in a trip before graduation!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Angela,

    The 3 week road trip sounds so fun. Also, I've always wanted to go to Germany. Maybe I should go for my grad trip!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Angela,

    I truly understand you feeling towards your host family. I also maintained very close relationship with my high school host family. I even took my host brothers back to China to spend summer.

    Haochen S

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Angela,

    That's so amazing to hear! I'm happy that you were able to reconnect with your host family and I hope you have a nice time in New York with your host sister.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Angela,

    The road trip looks amazing!! It is so amazing that you have been to so many places! I have't been to Germany but I plan to go to Europe next year with my sister.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Angela,

    I've never been to Europe before, but I'd imagine the culture shock you must have went through! Do you find yourself missing Germany? I had also studied abroad in Asia and find myself missing some aspects of the culture recently.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Angela,

    This is so cool! It seems like you've had the opportunity to travel a lot, and it seems like Germany was a great experience. Even though I'm from California, I haven't traveled to any of the major national parks in California or the neighboring states. These are definitely on my bucket list, and your pictures make it look so fun!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Angela!

    This seems like such a fun time! I love how close you are with your host family. When I was in 10th grade, I also participated in an exchange program but it was in Bolivia and it was only 2 weeks! I grew close to my host family in those couple of weeks, and I can only imagine how close you must have been with your host family. I love to hear that you'll be seeing one of your host sisters soon! Is she close to you in age?

    ReplyDelete

A World We Dare To Imagine (Part 3)

Crecer Soñando An organization that seeks to create spaces for children coming from vulnerable situations, where they can have...