Reading Born on Third Base
has been a very enjoyable and informative experience. Coming from one of the countries
with the highest rates of poverty and social inequality in Latin America, this
has been a topic of interest for me. However, I never thought about the impact
of this problem in the U.S.
One of the chapters that I recall the most was Unequal Opportunity, here Collins talks about three different
students in three different circumstances. Here he shows how the one coming from
the better economically positioned family has more opportunities to obtain a
better job and thus continue growing in comparison to the others. This
resonated with me, grounded me, and made think about how privilege I actually
am.
I was moved by Collin’s determination and decision to give away his
inheritance to help others at such a young age, and he continues to work and educate people on changing the issue of the gab between the wealthy and the poor. His story is inspiring and his decision is something that I don’t think many would be willing to do.
No comments:
Post a Comment